Shoot Diary

On my shooting days I tried to document the process and log down any useful information needed e.g. footage log etc.

Due to weather disruptions delaying my scheduled shoot days, I was able to reschedule 3 out of 4 shoot dates but unfortunately had to cancel the 4th date due to the time constraints of the brief. However, this did not affect my overall production process too much as I was able to extend the shooting hours on the second day of shooting.

Shoot Day 1

As this was my first official shoot date, the process seemed a little daunting at first. Luckily I was able to consult my paperwork and previously planned out lighting plan to help maximise the time I had efficiently as possible.

I created pullouts of all vital information needed on this particular day, including an equipment checklist, a shot list and the shooting script, this pack was handed out to the individuals on location that day.



It contained the shooting script for the day, to inform crew and cast of storyline and what would be shot that day.


A shooting log was included so we could document footage information as we shot, logging what shot number, how long the footage lasted and whether it was a usable take. An equipment check was included to ensure we had all materials we needed during out shoots, this really sped up production time and helped the production run fluently.


I also included the lighting plan as I thought it served well as a set floor plan, incase we needed to document where a certain prop was on set for continuity in shooting, it was a useful addition.

On set photos



Shoot Day 2

On day two, there was a period of time when my cast member wasn’t available so it gave me time on set to experiment with shooting techniques and ideas. Apart of my storyboard required me to shoot a time-lapse sequence to convey the heaviness of a mood disorder, this was an important scene to me and essential that I captured it effectively. I set the camera up and tried to capture the time-lapse in a variety of different ways, I was hoping to use the SLRs remote shooting function but unfortunately I could not access the app that enabled me to use it. I managed to work round this issue by using self timer mode and having the camera shoot a continuous of 6 shots. I was pleased with the result and knew I could apply this during shooting time without having to waste the time of the crew and cast on set.



Before we began shooting on day two, I had a review of all the footage we’d shot the day before with my cast and crew. I found this a very useful process, as I found the feedback from my colleagues to be particularly helpful, we discussed what shots we thought were the strongest and what we could do better. The energy on set was very exciting and felt very much like a collaboration rather than me just directing, it was great to have input from the other artists.

I love working with almost neon-like light colours, I had two bulbs that I consistently alternated the colours of to create an interesting colour palette, I believe this added to the dreamlike, almost nightmarish, quality of the scene.


An equipment checklist from the production pack.

Shoot Day 3

Shoot day 3 was predominantly our natural light scenes, so in a sense we shot the film background. We were fortunate enough that the lighting on this particular day was bright but quite muted which added to the evocative nature of the scene.
The better quality light meant I could play around with the camera settings slightly more than when I was working in extremely low light conditions. I was able to shoot on wide apertures to create a deeper depth of field, which gave the footage a softer feel, I thought this would be a nice contrast to the later scenes.

All through the shooting process, I wanted to ensure everyone on set was comfortable, allowing for regular breaks and checking to make sure our cast member was physically and emotionally comfortable. I found shooting was a tiring process, it requires a lot of waiting around to set up shots and when shooting the atmosphere would be very intense and focused, so ensuring the wellbeing of my crew was an essential part of this process for me.

On-Set photo


Below, our shoot assistant made notes on where the camera needed to be on the lighting floor plan, I was happy to know the production pack ended up being a useful resource to the shoot.



Recording Voiceover 

Due to scheduling conflicts and having to assist on other shoots, the originally scheduled date to record my voiceover was pushed back and I had to record without my sound assistant, however I was able to get it done within time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close