Editing Footage and Adding Sound in Post Production (AC 3.1)

Once all the footage had been shot, I exported all the footage into lightroom where I then reviewed all that had been shot and exported it into clear and organised folders which would make the editing process more efficient.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 20.36.53

I chose to edit and create my film in Adobe Premiere Pro, as it had all the capabilities I needed.

To begin editing I created a rough structure of the film with the footage, to give me an estimate of where I would like the clips and the duration of the film, I then edited more concisely.

When I envisioned my film, I knew that editing had the power to be very powerful in helping me creatively convey the mood and message of my film. I had already shot visually strong and dynamic scenes but without sound and sequence they just lived aesthetically and had limited narrative.
A challenge for me was incorporating the time-lapse sequence shot into my film, as this was created by taking continuous photos, the tempo of this footage was quite different from the rest of the live-shot footage. Having the time-lapse footage play in full in conjunction with the rest it felt like too much of a change of pace, and didn’t quite work. To overcome this I nested the time-lapse footage to make it easier to work with, rather than have the individual images clutter my timeline.

Screen shot nested

Doing this I was able to layer the nested sequence over the top of another layer of footage, and I was able to change the opacity so it created a wonderful effect of the girl slowly appearing into shot over the screens. Liking this effect, I cut the opacity and nested footage to flicker in, an effect I thought enhanced the overwhelming and fragmented sense of reality that comes with suffering with a mood disorder/ sleep problems. I think this was one of the strongest parts of my film, the difference in the tempo of the two clips now opposed each other in a dynamic way.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 12.54.31.png

 

During this sequence, I almost began to incorporate my voice over, I had a script of what

image4

I wanted included in my film, but once I had compiled the basic structure of the film into Premiere I roughly recorded my voice over on my phone, so I could read the script in a rhythm that would work with the pace of the film.

Before I could rerecord this on a
professional standard microphone, I placed the temporary audio files into premiere. This really helped the editing process as it gave life to the film and allowed me to edit succinct  without having to wait for audio, which might have delayed the production.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 12.53.23

Audio was an important part of my film, so it was essential that I mapped out where all the voiceover was going to be before rerecording. Pictured above is the sequence where the girl moves around the bed in different positions while the camera remained in the same place. I edited the footage so the duration of the clips got shorter and shorter, until they were frantically flicking before cutting to black. These quick cuts helped enhance a feeling of overwhelming anxiety, the speed of the cuts are uncomfortable and hopefully make the viewer feel on edge. During this sequence, the audio is comprised of voicemail clips, I decided to edit these so they play on top of each other, until eventually I had 8 separate audio tracks playing over each other. This cacophony of tired voicemails coupled with the quick cuts hopefully convey a sense of what sensory overload might feel like.

For some of the sound effects, like the phone ringing and tv static, I sourced royalty free sound effects, these were essential in creating the atmosphere for my film and enhancing the feeling of anxiety or being overwhelmed. I wanted to create a contrast between the

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 19.56.40

 

As I had a lot of quick cuts and flicking between visuals during my film, using the razor tool to cut the footage in very specific places was an essential tool during editing. I chose to do sudden cuts to illustrate how quickly a mood can change and also to separate my film into three distinct parts. I used a fade in and out transition end of my film as this slowed down the pace again and was contrasted to the quick cuts earlier in the film.
To create my tittles I used the graphic tool, and changed the colour, size, font, duration and opacity where necessary.

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 19.59.28

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close