Exporting & Evaluation (4.1, 4.2)

Exporting

Once I had created my image sequence in Premiere, I had to export it into the correct file format, resolution and size appropriate for the brief. As this was a site specific brief, where our films would be played on a large screen projected above musicians, I select to export my video with the ‘Youtube 1080p HD’ preset.

screen-shot-2018-06-19-at-14-52-55.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-19 at 14.52.58

Not only would this be high quality for the performance, but it is also appropriate for online upload so I am able to add the film to my portfolio via online upload.

The final film will be played at Morley’s Festival, and can be found online uploaded to my Vimeo here

Neptune Gustav from alienmom helen on Vimeo.

Evaluation

Research Process

When given the brief and our chosen planet, I believed it was important to obtain as much information about the event, location, composer and performer of the music piece as possible. To do this I researched thoroughly using both online and textual sources like leaflets and books, this was also supported by my research in the Finding and Reading information unit. Thoroughly researching enabled me to better understand my brief and inform the formats and resolutions I would be working in, e.g suitable to venue size. This also made me aware of the audience, making sure to create something appropriate to for this kind of event. Pre production research into Neptune and gathering visual sources and references, began to shape my creative vision for the project and repeated listening to the piece of music helped me become more familiar with tone and tempo.
Before attempting to create my image sequence, it was important and an integral part of the process to pre-visualise how my animation might look. I achieved this by creating mood boards and a rough story board of how I wanted to sequence to look and progress throughout the duration. I believe I did this well, although upon reflection I always wish for more time to research and further flesh out my ideas. However, considering the constraints of this ‘live brief’, I was satisfied and confident enough to begin creating.

Image Sequence

I began by creating sequences based on ideas I had generated during the pre-production process. Using Photoshop, I created a variety of assets comprised of scanned in materials, photos I had taken and colours and effects through the software. I created everything with the intention of visually representing and evoking the sense of Neptune and worked within specific colour palettes to achieve this. To create the animations that would make up the sequence I used After Effects. Before creating I ensured that I worked within the correct resolutions and sizes to fulfil the brief requirements and to prevent the finished product looking pixellated or low quality upon performance time.

In After Effects I used a variety of effects and tools to create interesting, varied and dynamic compositions that visually represented Neptune and complimented the audio provided. I made use of the Audio Spectrum to to further enhance the relationship between the video and audio, as this created graphics that moved in time with the audio frequency and I believe this worked effectively. As the event is paying homage to Gustav Holt’s musical work, it was important to create a sequence that complimented the music rather than distract from the piece, I believe this was an important in responding to the brief.

The visuals I created with the intentions of reflecting the quality of Neptune as a planet as well as working well with the audio. I tried to create visuals and transitions that were fluid and smooth, avoiding harsh cuts that would seem inconsistent with my image sequence. For example, to achieve this I used effects like Scatter in After Effects to create a gas-like cloud, an element that is closely linked with Neptune.

Once I had created my animation sequences I exported at the appropriate resolution via The Render Queue and imported into Premiere, where I edited together my clips. Premiere had the most efficient tools to be able to sufficiently sync my image  sequence with the audio track provided to us. When I played some of the clips alongside the music, it was apparent to me that some pieces needed to be either sped up or slowed down to best suit the tempo. This was easily achieved, as was being able to cut down clips and apply transitions to better enhance the visual narrative and make the whole sequence flow and work together more succinctly.

Conclusion

Overall, I was satisfied with the end image sequence and I believe I successfully met the brief and what was required of me. Throughout the project I kept in mind the purpose of the video and this helped informed my creative choices. I believe this assignment was a great practice to explore creative freedom in visually responding to a piece of music and an exercise in creating an end result that meets industry standards. This unit will help inform my approach to future projects and has been an invaluable lesson in working through a brief in a professional and creative way.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close