Once happy with the finalised designs, I began building my site using the Wix Editor.
Browsing their free templates, I sourced a suitable template built with the purpose of showcasing video work, this was an important choice as this best fits my website requirements. I selected a template that looked, clean, neutral and visually dynamic – specifications I identified in the planning process.
Using the template editor was a learning curve, having previously only worked with the WordPress platform. However, the tools were easy and simple to use and by experimenting with different functions I began to customise how the site looks.
I was able to change layout, colour scheme, menu pages, fonts. I was pleased as this allowed me to have more control and greater creative freedom than I previously had when using WordPress. As my landing page is the first impression, I spent time editing the appearance of it until I was satisfied with how it looked and performed.
For the colour palette of my site I decided to use a black background, a neutral and professional colour, and a colour that is regularly used on portfolio websites. I was able to use the fonts I had previously picked out during the design stage.
The fonts I used are predominantly Sans Serif fonts and mostly in white, to stand in contrast to the black background and images/videos they overlay. I wanted everything to be legible and clear, simple and quick to read.
When it came to implementing the menu structure, there were several changes I had to implement to achieve the structure of the site as I had planned for in the designing process. The theme used ‘anchors’ instead of separate pages, a feature I decided did not work for my purpose. The ‘anchor’ function lead to information further down the page. To alter this, I removed the anchors from the landing page, decreased the page size to remove too much empty space and implemented new pages for each page I required.
Above, is my revised menu structure that better reflects my planned menu structure. The only change I have made is to keep ‘Contact‘ as an anchor, clicking on Contact in the menu automatically takes you to the bottom of the page where you can get in contact. I thought this was better to have on the bottom of every page as it is a call to action, and will more likely prompt them to get in touch with me.
To implement my Contact page, I have a mail form which the user can fill in (it will automatically fill in your email if you have your details saved), the form is linked to my email – I will test this before going live. I have also included an email that performs as a “mailto:” command, meaning it will open up your email and a new message draft with my contact details already filled in. This will make it easy as possible for people to get in touch with me, important as I am using my portfolio to attract possible opportunities.
Here is how my contact form will look. Additionally I have included links to my social media sites, that open in new windows, rather than take them away from my website in the same page – making it easier for them to return to my website.
As I progress to university to study Digital Film, my video work is my priority, therefore I chose to feature my latest work on my landing page. I used a gallery feature to do this, the video clicks on play and can be opened to reveal a short description about the video. I believe this looks visually interesting and encourages people to view my work immediately, the video is linked from my Vimeo page.
For my photography page, the function is the showcase my photographic words. I used another gallery feature, suitable for images and that looked coherent with the rest of the sites design, the website builder has a media organiser which makes this process easy.
I think this works well, it again functions similarly to my film gallery – it opens up each image with a short description about it in a small pop up window, which can then be closed again.
Within the editor I am able to edit details right down to the appearance of buttons, I chose a clean design suitable to my colour scheme.
I was again able to customise almost every element of my site to tailor it to my needs and what I had pre-visualised.
The Finished Design:
My finalised site can be found here: https://alienmomhelen.wixsite.com/helenshowreel